Solo Bass Network
- a portal for information about Solo Bassists.
Edgar Meyer - so gifted it is scary, Edgars playing seems impossible until you see it. Recently released an album of the Bach Cello Suites arranged for solo double bass. A Genuis.
- Renaud Garcia-Fons - one of the most amazing musicians I've ever heard, on any instrument. His CDs 'Oriental Bass' and 'Entremundo' are vital listening for all musicians everywhere.
- Eberhard Weber - one of the first bassists to gig solo, especially using loops. plays an electric upright through an Oberheim Digital Echoplex creating soundscapes and textures.
- David Friesen - another pioneer, this time in the field of solo acoustic upright playing. Has recorded a few duet CDs with URB player, Michael Moore. Highly regarded clinician and constantly touring solo performer, a great live act.
- Dave Holland - the third of the big three in solo acoustic bass, Dave has recorded albums for both solo bass and solo cello and leads his own group as well as all the stuff like playing with Miles that he's hugely famous for.
- Rob Wasserman - equally famous as a sideman with Lou Reed, Bob Weir, Bruce Cockburn etc, as for his solo material - recently released a completely solo bass album, and fine stuff it is too...
- William Parker - one of the legends of the US free improv and avant-jazz scenes, often playing in small group settings with poets or just a reed player as well as recording completely solo. Definitely one to check out.
- Ashley John Long - great young player and composer, writing music for solo bass, chamber group and orchestra.
- Stefano Scodanibbio Joelle Leandre - French solo avant-garde double bassist, she tours a lot in Japan it seems and has colloborated with all the big names...
- Tatso Aoki - solo avant garde double bassist - loads of solo and duo CDs out on the Asian Improv label.
- David Leahy - Kiwi now living in London, David is another free player with a reasonalby busy gigging schedule on the free circuit in London - check the gigs page on his site for more info.
- Reuben Radding - Washington State based free player, with a solo live album out.
- Mike Milligan - living in Montreal, Canada, Mike looks to have worked with a seriously impressive list of people, and studied with a few bass stars as well. He hass also got an all solo album out called Solo Flight.
- Mark Dresser- a quick glimpse at the list of press quotes on this page will tell you why you need to check out the music of Mark Dresser.
- Peter Herbert - Austrian born, but a mainstay of the New York avant scene, Peter gigs solo in both the US and Europe.