So I started putting together a list of all the gigs I’d been to this year, from which to compile a best-of list. But in doing so realised that, aside from the few music things I saw at Greenbelt this year (Bruce Cockburn was my highlight) I only went to 12 gigs this year!
Thankfully, these were all excellent – if I had to pick any as highlights from the list, I’d have to say that the Rosanne Cash gig at the Union Chapel ranks in my favourite gigs ever list – just her and John Leventhal, two guitars and an incredible set of songs. An outstanding performance.
The other one that impacted me the most was Triptykon – I didn’t even know who they were when I went to the gig, but not only was their set one of the most visceral musical experiences I’ve ever had, they inspired the formation of Torycore – definitely another of my musical highlights from this year, though one with me playing so it doesn’t make this list
Here’s the full list –
- Gretchen Peters in Leamington Spa – March 18th
- Cannibal Corpse/Triptykon in Birmingham – March 11th
- Rosanne Cash at the Union Chapel – March 30th
- Phronesis at MAC, Birmingham – May 15th
- Waterboys at Birmingham Symphony Hall – May 22nd
- Jill Jackson in Birmingham – May 24th
- Stick Men at Birmingham O2 Academy – June 4th
- 4 Sided Triangle at The Jam House, Birmingham – July 17th
- Nik Kershaw at the Birmingham 02 Academy – Sept 22nd
- Iona at The Robin 2 in Bilston – Oct 7th
- Martyn Joseph at The Hare And Hounds – Oct 28th
- Supersilent at Birmingham Town Hall – November 14th
What were your favourite gigs you went to this year?